Founded in 1907 as a study club to broaden their education and discuss community concerns, members of the Saratoga Foothill Club continue their focus on civic and social issues and cultural topics. A popular Art Lecture series for community and club members presented by a university art historian provides in-depth exploration of the visual arts and artistic movements. The Public Lecture Series focuses on community concerns and presents performing artists. Many members are active in the local community and county serving as elected officials on school boards, city councils, or city and county commissions and nonprofit boards. Currently close to 15% of the members have been active for more than 25 years.
Members promote a spirit of friendliness through monthly teas or luncheons with prominent speakers covering current political, environmental, and cultural topics. The Garden Club, small book clubs, and specific interest groups provide opportunities for informal interactions among members.
The Julia Morgan-designed redwood clubhouse and grounds opened its doors in 1915 and continues to host meetings and activities of the club, as well as, civic activities, memorials and weddings. Club members take great pride in maintaining its historic and architectural integrity. The Saratoga Foothill Club Historic Landmark Foundation, established in 2004, is a tax-exempt public benefit corporation whose mission is to preserve and maintain the Saratoga Foothill Club Clubhouse and grounds.
In its more than 100 years of continuous membership, members of the Foothill Club have served as a source of support for the community. Since 1926, members of the club organize the annual Memorial Day observance at Madronia Cemetery. Members provide more than 150 holiday baskets to needy community members, support the community food bank with sundries, and provide scholarships to high school and community college students. When the founders of the study club grew weary of ordering source materials from the State Library in Sacramento, they established the first library in Santa Clara County at the local drugstore, a library that led to the current Santa Clara County Library System. During WWII the army billeted The 31st Field Artillery Headquarters Division in the clubhouse and grounds. Much more about the history of the Foothill Club can be found in The Story of Wonderful Women and Their Redwood Meeting House.
Club members invite women who have lived in Saratoga or within the boundaries of the Saratoga Union School District for at least one year to join the Foothill Club. The individual must have one sponsor and two endorsers who are current members of the club and have known the applicant for at least one year.
For information, please contact email@example.com.